Do you want to know something interesting about golf?
I can tell you that you will be astonished after knowing some amazing facts about golf. You may not be aware of them, you may not hear some fascinating golf history, and that’s why we are here to inform you, to give you some pleasure with actual golf facts.
Let’s know them.
1. The highest golf course in the world was Tactu Golf Club in Peru, which was 14,335 ft above sea level.
2. The longest ever recorded drive in golf was in 1974.
3. Roughly 125,000 balls a year are hit into the water of the 17th hole at the famous 17th hole at Sawgrass.
4. Scott Base Golf Club in Antarctica is the most southerly golf club in the world.
5. Le Mirage Golf Club in Quebec is owned by Singer, Celine Dion.
6. PGA Tour professionals pay their own travel expenses (top golfers are covered by sponsors)
7. The term ‘Green’ in golf only refers to the area of the golf course and not the color.
8. Tiger Woods, the biggest household name in golf, has racked up over $100 million in prize winnings to date. Thus making him the richest golfer in the world with a net worth of almost $800 million.
9. Golf balls were originally made of wood.
10. The oldest golf tournament in the world is the Open Championship which was founded in 1860.
11. The record for the longest hole-in-one belongs to Lou Kretlow, who achieved a hole-in-one at a 427-yard course in 1961. Kretlow was originally a baseball player and enjoyed much success. He only became a professional golfer after hanging up his gloves. We can certainly think of worse ways to enjoy retirement.
12. Golf was one of the only sports played on the moon. Alan Bartlett Shepard Jr. used a 6-iron to play golf on the moon! This is a fact about golf we should all be proud of!
13. Babe Zaharias is the only female to have made the cut in a male PGA Tour event.
14. In the world, there are over 34,000 golf courses.
15. Modern-day golf was invented in the year 1457 in Scotland. South Florida golf courses came much later
16. Golf was banned three times for years after it was invented because the Scottish government believed it interfered with military training.
17. Almost 80% of golfers will never have a handicap under 18.
18. The average golfer has a 12,500 to 1 chance of making a hole-in-one. Tell that to all of the patrons at the South Florida golf courses right now!
19. The standard golf course is 18 holes, but the first recorded 18-hole course was located on a sheep farm in Illinois. It is still open for business but reduced to just nine holes today.
20. China’s government placed a ban on all new golf courses several years ago. However, this hasn’t stopped cities and local communities from building them. To get around the ban, developers conveniently avoid mentioning the fact that they are building a golf course in the proposed plans.
21. Golf is an excellent workout that burns calories while promoting greater muscle mass. According to the health and fitness website ShapeFit.com, a typical 190-pound golfer will burn 431 calories per hour — assuming he or she is walking across the course instead of riding a golf cart.
22. Two-time is not the charm on the green. The chances of making two holes-in-one in a single round of golf are one in 67 million!
23. The first-ever golf balls were made of thin leather, stuffed with goose feathers. ‘Feather balls’ were used up until 1848 when they were replaced with the ‘Guttie’ ball, named for the rubber-like sap of the Gutta tree, found in the tropics.
24. It’s pretty widely accepted that golf began in Scotland 500+ years ago. The Chinese, however, claims to have invented a similar game during the Song dynasty as far back as 943 A.D.
25. If you walked all eighteen holes instead of riding in a golf cart, you would walk approximately four miles.
You can now easily impress your friends by sharing encyclopedic knowledge of golf facts with them. Even if you are not a golf lover, these facts might astonish you.
So you don’t have to love golf, just play, know the interesting facts, enjoy, share and be pleased.